I’m sure I’m not the only one who likes to relax at night by watching a show, reading a book, or scrolling endlessly on TikTok. I’ve been influenced, per usual, by so many people who have a standing desk and walking pad.
But like any social media, it’s not always sunshine and rainbows, so I’ve compiled a short list of 5 things you should know before getting a walking pad.
- It is absolutely NOT like walking and texting. The influencers lied. There’s a huge learning curve but once you get over that hump it gets easier. For the first few days, I was getting dizzy looking at my spreadsheets. Now that I’m 5 days in, it’s so much easier but it’s still hard to click the right spreadsheet square.
- TikTok also didn’t warn me about how much I’d sweat just walking at a speed of 1.1 for an extended period of time. I always have to be conscious of meetings where my camera is on and stopping in enough time to have my temperature regulated so I don’t look like a sweaty mess.
- No one told me when I step off I’d be walking like a baby deer stumbling all over the place. It gets better, but for a while it was not ideal.
- I highly suggest wearing workout pants or biker shorts underneath whatever you choose to wear just to help avoid chaffing.
- Get a walking pad that is easy to move and store. We got this one and it’s so nice to have the wheels at the bottom to easily move it around the room. Typically it’s stored behind my chair against the wall and it takes 2 seconds to plug in!
I’ve been eyeing standing desks and walking pads for so long and can honestly say it was one of the best purchases we’ve made this year. I’m averaging around 6 miles a day while working, which usually only happens when we are in Disney World. Walking while working has not only helped the day go by so much faster, it helps me get my steps in and I feel like my overall mood is better!