Beating the Heat :: Indoor Activities
Welcome to southern Louisiana, or what locals love to refer to as the inside of a preheated oven.
If you have active children like me who love running outside, this heat advisory has put a damper on outdoor activities over the last few weeks. Below is my list of indoor activities to keep them entertained and safe.
Family fun activities:
- Bring on the board games. Family fun all around with these age-appropriate games.
- Trip to the library. Free entry with library cards, tons of audiobooks, DVDs, books, and weekly program activities for children of all ages.
- Indoor picnic. Spread a blanket on the living room floor and enjoy a picnic-style dinner. Get the children involved in creating a charcuterie board.
- Spring-cleaning. Sort through old toys. Get your children involved in the organizing. Make a discard and donate pile.
Sibling fun activities:
- Living room fort. Building a blanket and kitchen chair fort encourages imaginative play.
- Dance it out. Choreograph a sibling dance or recreate a popular online dance craze.
- Get crafty. Pull out the Play-Doh and have everyone guess what each child has created
Individual fun activities:
- Reading. Encourage your children to curl up with a good book.
- Legos. Kits are great, but challenging your children to create something using random pieces helps encourage creativity.
- Let them be artists. Spread the crayons, markers, colored pencils, paint, and paper. Display their creations on the refrigerator.