Disclosure :: This post is sponsored by IDEA Public Schools.
Bright Louisiana Beginnings
Fall of 2018 marks an important milestone here at IDEA. Why? It’s the first time we’ll open schools outside of the state of Texas. That’s right! IDEA Public Schools will be opening its doors in Southern Louisiana for 1,000 students in grades K-3 and 6, all of all of whom will begin their journey on the road to success in college and in life. In just a few short months, IDEA Southern Louisiana will be home to IDEA Bridge Academy and College Preparatory, and IDEA Innovation Academy and College Preparatory in East Baton Rouge Parish.
There’s a lot to be excited about in Southern Louisiana, but we’re most excited about working with families in the community. Latoya Spears is the mother of one of those families. Together with her husband, Travis Sampson, and their son, Trae Princeton Lee Sampson, Latoya is so excited to start the 2018 school year as part of IDEA Innovation Academy.
When Latoya first heard IDEA would be joining the Baton Rouge community as an educational option for her soon-to-be kindergartner, she was drawn to the fact that since 2007, every graduating IDEA senior has been accepted to college. Even though Trae Princeton Lee is only a kindergartner, Latoya knows that the early, foundational years of education are crucial for her son.
“I am hungry for the success of my son, and so is IDEA. We both know that success starts now. When I learned that IDEA Innovation will grow to be a K-12 school, and that Trae Princeton Lee can stay at IDEA until he graduates from high school, I was really encouraged. My son can grow and flourish here.”
When asked what makes Latoya most excited about joining IDEA, she mentioned that beyond the great things she’s heard, it’s the people she’s met.
“When I met the Assistant Principal of Operations at IDEA Innovation, Leslie Spencer, I was struck by her eagerness, her kindness, and her willingness to support my son. When you really think about it, a school is like a second home. The folks at school will be helping me raise my child. After meeting the leadership at IDEA Innovation through events they’ve held with the community, I know Trae Princeton Lee will be in good hands. IDEA teachers and leaders reiterate what I preach at home.”
Latoya’s words echo that of IDEA Southern Louisiana Executive Director and Baton Rouge resident, Kenneth Campbell.
“What I love most about working with IDEA is the people,” Kenneth noted. “From top to bottom, IDEA Public Schools is an organization full of talented, passionate, and relentless educators.”
And while IDEA Southern Louisiana educators, leaders, and staff are focused on gearing up for that magical first year, collaborating, preparing, decorating classrooms soon, and holding “Meet The Teacher Night,” there is one thing that is top-of-mind beyond all else: the families we serve.
Five Things to Know About IDEA Southern Louisiana
- In 2018, IDEA Southern Louisiana will be home to two new schools: IDEA Bridge Academy and College Prep, and IDEA Innovation Academy and College Prep in East Baton Rouge Parish.
- In our first year, we will have a total of 1,000 students between our academy and college prep campuses in grades Kinder through 3rd and 6th. We will grow to serve grades K-12 when fully scaled.
- Since IDEA’s first graduating class in 2007, 100% of our seniors have been accepted to colleges and universities nationwide.
- Beyond academics, our enrichment programs develop independent, responsible citizens who give back to their communities.
- Our student registration window is now officially open, and there are still a few open remaining seats open at our new schools. You can follow the steps to begin the process online HERE.
Interested in learning more about IDEA Public Schools? Check out the posts below.