I absolutely love to read. Curled up under a blanket on a rainy day, on a sunny beach with a cocktail in my hand, or at night under the glow of my lamp winding down from a long day, reading is a great escape. I started a book club before I had kids that involved a monthly dinner with wine, book discussions, and good friends. Six years later it is still going even though I can’t attend since we have moved.
When I became a mom, my bouts of reading started to ebb and flow. I still love it, but I would find months would go by without me cracking open a book. Then I would remember this forgotten hobby and read several novels in one week’s time. As moms, we are constantly reminding each other to take time for ourselves and engage in self-care. Reading for ten minutes a day is some perfect self-care time that is immensely beneficial.
I like such a variety of book genres and can send recommendations for pretty much anyone and any taste. However, these are a few of my favorites:
- Favorite fiction author on nonfiction topics: Jodi Picoult
I’ve read everything she has ever written multiple times but my favorites are 19 Minutes, Leaving Time, and Mercy
2. Women’s Mystery/Fiction: Liane Moriarty “What Alice Forgot”
3. Local Author/Thriller: Ana Reyes “The House in the Pines”
4. Historical Fiction: Christina Baker Kline “Orphan Train”
5. Nonfiction: Laura Hillenbrand “Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption”
6. Smut: Sara Cate “Praise (Salacious Players’ Club)”
7. Romance: Colleen Hoover “Ugly Love”
8. Cutesy Beach Read: Beth Harbison “When in Doubt Add Butter”
9. Turned into Movie: John Grisham “A Time to Kill” and Delia Owens “Where the Crawdads Sing”
10. Turned into TV Show: Liane Moriarty “Big Little Lies”
11. Inspiration: Max Lucado “God Will Use This for Good: Surviving the Mess of Life” and Tim Tebow “This is the Day: Reclaim Your Dream. Ignite Your Passion. Live Your Purpose”
12. Horror: Dean Koontz “The Door to December” because I am too chicken to read anything Stephen King
Let me know what you’ve been reading lately!