A few years ago, I was scrolling through social media when I ran across this video of mom Tiffany Jenkins. She was talking about how her kid had stuck something up his nose & they were having a hard time retrieving the object. As she was loading the kid up for a trip to the ER, she received some advice from a former ER nurse. I laughed my way through the video because Tiffany is hilarious, but also because I was so glad I’d never had a kid that enjoyed torturing me in such ways.
Fast forward two weeks. The kids are all in bed, the husband and I are sitting on the couch when the eldest comes wandering out to inform us that Brother was crying because he had birdseed stuck. The husband quickly jumps into action as I watch on the monitor trying to figure out A. why the kid had birdseed? and B. WHERE he got it stuck? I see he’s in bed crying and tells his dad that there’s birdseed stuck IN HIS NOSE! Are you kidding me?!? Why? Why would he do this!?
I see my husband whip out his cell phone flashlight and confirm our worst fears. There is indeed a seed stuck up kid 2’s nose. I grab the monitor and tell him not to touch it, I know exactly what to do! He brings the kid to me with a quizzical look. I explain that after watching Tiffany’s video from the interwebs I am a full fledged professional (despite her very claims NOT to take her advice as rule). I can tell he’s hesitant, but I assure him in my Mom Voice that I know precisely what I’m doing.
Are you ready for this?! I lay one finger over the unclogged nostril, and cover his mouth with mine and blow. WHOOOP! Just like that, I’m smacked in the face by the “birdseed” aka sunflower seed. Meanwhile, my husband is standing there dumbfounded. Complete shock. And then we all rejoice and quickly send the kid back to bed with threats about what will happen if he ever puts anything up his nose ever again! Once the kid was in bed, my husband turned to me and asked, “You knew that, right? You didn’t really discover that on social, did you?” I was still in shock that it worked! And while I 100% wanted to take full credit for it, I quickly pulled up the video and showed him. So in case you ever have a kid that enjoys stuffing things up their nose, take heed, this little trick could just save you a trip to the ER. But don’t take my word for it, I’m no nurse either.