April 2014 is the 6th annual National Multiple Birth Awareness month, and Multiples of America would like to use this month to “focus…on educating our communities about the special needs and challenges of multiple birth children while celebrating the joys they bring to our families.” So in honor of NMBA month and all of our readers who are moms of multiples, I compiled some very familiar moments that don’t easily let us forget these challenges and joys in raising our twins, triplets, or higher order multiples.
1) When you pull up next to the double grocery buggy in the parking lot of a grocery store:
…your day is totally made!
2) When there is only one high chair at a restaurant (or only one crib at a hotel, etc.):
So y’all only allow one child in this establishment at a time? Does the other baby need to wait in the car?
3) When people preach to you about the middle seat of the car being the safest place for baby’s car seat:
Wait a minute. Are you saying I need to pick a favorite twin to ride in the middle seat?
4) When parents try to plan the “perfect” age gap between their children for optimum social and emotional development:
As a mom who only had three minutes between her first and second children with no choice in the matter, I promise it will work out, whatever the age gap happens to be! And who knows- you could end up having multiples next and your child spacing plans will go out the window anyway!
5) When you hear “double trouble!” shouted at you from across the grocery aisle:
Very original, fellow shopper. And while you aren’t denying the double trouble:
You also know that with multiples, the love is multiplied:
The joys far outweigh the challenges (on most days), and you wouldn’t have it any other way!
Happy National Multiple Birth Awareness Month!
All .gifs are from http://www.reactiongifs.com/