We Went Raw Vegan for 5 Days and This is What Happened
Why would you do such a thing? You may be asking yourself. Well let me tell you, we’ve been on our “cheat day” for the past 6 months and needed something to bring us back to the basics and relearn how to listen to our bodies. So yeah, we may have taken drastic measures, but I really believe it was needed.
If you’re really interested in doing this, I recommend doing some research before starting to be sure you’re getting your daily calories, iron, protein, etc. Nonetheless, here’s what we learned!
- Five days is not enough time to lose a ton of weight or inches, but we surely did feel amazing. Our minds were clearer and our energy levels were up.
- I didn’t know how much I would miss hot food, which was the biggest struggle for me. I subconsciously blew on all of my food and it just made me sad that I couldn’t even have a warm dinner. Pathetic I know.
- We. Ate. So. Many. Veggies. I know that was the point, but I can’t remember ever eating that many in 5 days much less 1 meal. And I realized how little we eat on a daily basis prior to this.
- We unintentionally learned how to intuitively eat. Everything was satiating, and we were never hungry in between meals which didn’t lead to binging at night.
- To us, we were adventurous. We ate raw zucchini which, for some, may not have been a big deal, but before we started this, the thought of eating raw zucchini made me cringe.
- Our mindsets had changed. I started calling cheat days treat days instead. I feel like if cheat days are for when you’re on a strict diet … something that’s temporary. If this is a lifestyle change that we are trying to incorporate in our every day lives, there’s nothing to cheat on.
While we did enjoy the 5 days of going raw for the most part, I think we will keep breakfast and lunch raw and have a cooked meal for dinner. I believe it’ll be the best of both worlds, and we can keep the cost semi down. When we sat down and priced it out, we realized it was a lot of money initially but it wasn’t as much as us grocery shopping and then eating out because we didn’t have time to cook. Also, it should be noted that even though everything was raw, it didn’t mean it was super fast to fix. I had to cut veggies for almost an hour just for dinner one night.