We are truly in the dog days of summer here in South Louisiana. Just coming back from San Diego, I long for the cooler days & nights again. To stay cool this summer, my family and I will be hitting the pool constantly. Moms always have snacks and bring them everywhere – even the pool!
Here are some of my favorite poolside snacks, and the best part … some are easy!
1. Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
- Peaches, peeled and diced
- Mango, cored and diced
- Kiwis, peeled and diced
- Strawberries, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 large whole wheat pita chips
- coconut oil cooking spray
- To make the fruit salsa, peel and chop all of the fruit into small pieces. Combine fruit in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the lemon juice and honey and mix well. Pour over fruit and mix to combine. Place in the refrigerator while you make the pita chips. (You’ll add the basil right before serving)
- To make the pita chips, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Cut the pita into 8th to form small triangles. Spray each side of the pita with the coconut oil cooking spray and dip both sides into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Lay on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all of the pita is done. Bake 8-10 minutes, turning the pita chips over halfway through for even baking. Allow to cool slightly.
- Before serving, add the chopped basil and stir well.
2. Poolside Southwest Ranch Dip
- 1 red pepper
- 2 jalapenos (unseeded)
- 1 can of corn
- 1/2 can diced olives
- 16 oz cream cheese (softened) 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dip seasoning mix (you can also use fat-free plain Greek yogurt instead of cream cheese)
- Mix ingredients together. Serve with crackers or raw veggies.
3. Caprese Bites
- Grape tomatoes
- Mozzarella balls
- Basil leaves (fresh)
Take a toothpick and start skewering away in whatever order tickles your fancy. Drizzle with balsamic dressing, and your caprese bites are ready to enjoy!
4. BLT Poolside Dip
- 14 slices Center cut bacon, cooked and chopped (about 1 cup crumbled)
- 1 (8 oz) pkg Low fatcream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup Nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% Shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup Chopped roma tomatoes
In a medium bowl, mix half of the crumbled bacon (7 pieces) with the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, cheddar, and seasonings, (I used a hand beater to mix until creamy). Spread in the bottom of 8 inch serving dish. Sprinkle the lettuce, tomato, and the rest of the bacon on top. Serve with cucumbers or crackers!
5. PB&J Rollups
- Slices of bread
- Peanut butter
Cut off the crust on the bread slices. Flatten the bread out with a rolling pin. Spread approximately 1/2 Tablespoon of peanut butter and jelly on each slice of bread. Tightly roll up each slice or bread and cut each one in half. Serve and enjoy!