Four Healthy Poolside Drinks To Help You Cool Off This Summer
Summer is here and who doesn’t love a good poolside drink. Here are four healthy poolside drinks to help you cool off this summer!
Protein Piña Colada
A typical piña colada is loaded with sugar due to the cream of coconut and pineapple juice. This recipe minimizes the sugar by reducing the amount of cream of coconut. It also replaces the canned pineapple juice with fresh, frozen pineapple.
Fun fact, fresh pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, which may provide health benefits such as relief from muscle soreness and injury after exercise. Although some studies have yielded mixed results, so more research is needed to know if it is effective.
- White rum (1.5 oz./3 tbsp.)
- 3.5 ounces of light coconut milk
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, frozen
- Splash of water (if needed)
- 1/4 cup ice
- *For added protein (if you are counting macros), add a scoop of protein powder of your choice, depending on your flavor preference
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until slushy.
Not Your Average Skinny Margarita
Margaritas can too be loaded with sugar so, I make my own twist and call it my own skinny margarita. I like mine bitter, so omit the sweetener if you like a “kick!” Combine all ingredients except the soda water, unless you want volcanic activity. Shake ingredients, pour into glass, top with soda water and stir.
- 1 or 2 shots of white tequila
- Soda water
- Squeeze of lime
- Squeeze of orange
- 1 stevia or calorie-free sweetener of your choice
Skinny Rum Punch
Coming in at around 150 calories and 2g of carbs, this drink may be 0g protein, but it is low-carb friendly. Combine the juice, punch powder, rum and ice cubes in a cocktail shaker and shake for 20 seconds or until the powder is fully dissolved.
- 8 ounces diet V-8 Splash Tropical Blend
- 1/8 teaspoon Kool-Aid Tropical Punch packet (sugar-free)
- 2 ounces white rum
Fizzy & Skinny Mint Mojito
Mint can be “cooling” during the summertime. Muddle your mint, squeeze your lime, pour rum over lime and mint, add ice then top off with your soda of choice, stir. Garnish with a lime slice and or a sprig of fresh mint.
- ½ lime quartered or 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) fresh squeezed lime juice.
- 5 mint leaves
- 1 cup ice
- 1 ounce rum White rum, silver rum, blanco rum
- ½ cup Diet Lemon Lime Soda Sprite, 7up, Lacroix or Club Soda