Quick and easy recipes that kids can help with are always welcomed in our household, especially when they are for a class party for said kiddo. Not only does it get them invested and excited about the upcoming festivity, but it also teaches kids (and mom) valuable skills. This year, the day before Valentine’s Day is Mardi Gras. King cakes end just in time for those Valentine’s chocolates! So if you are at home enjoying the day off and looking for something to do, a Valentine’s Day recipe may be just what you need.
Rice Krispie Treats are always a hit around here. They are simple and easy to make, and perfect to bring to class parties since they adhere to the ‘nut-free’ policy that most schools have. Larger measurements make it easier for little hands to assist. And with a few tasty additions they become an extra special treat. Cutting them up with a heat-shaped cookie cutter is another great job to give the kids. All bagged up with a fun tag- Valentine’s Day treats are complete. Just make sure you make some extra – Mom and Dad will be wanting some of these too!
Chocolate Raspberry Rice Krispie Treats
(adapted from the original Rice Krispie Treats recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cups freeze dried raspberries, plus extra for garnish
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
1. Butter or spray a 13X9” pan.
2. Place raspberries in a bag and crush (a perfect job for the kiddos)
3. In a saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
4. Add in marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
5. Add cereal and raspberries until well coated and combined.
6. Using wax paper, press mixture evenly into the coated pan.
7. Sprinkle chocolate on top and extra raspberries if desired.
8. Let cool, then cut into squares or use cookie cutters to make fun shapes. (Have at it kids!)