Cold and flu season is upon us (not to be confused with the never-ending COVID season.) This chicken and rice soup is the perfect meal when you’re feeling under the weather.
Our family was hit hard this past week with a virus. I whipped up a big batch of this comforting chicken and rice soup. It’s a family favorite year-round, but especially when we aren’t feeling well. It’s easy to make and will have you feeling better in no time!
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 bag celery (washed and sliced)
- 1 bag carrots (washed and sliced)
- 2 TB butter
- 2 48-oz boxes of chicken broth
- 2 rotisserie chickens (this is also really yummy with leftover Thanksgiving Day turkey!)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning (I love Tony’s or Poppa Earle’s)
- 1 cup of rice
- In a large stockpot melt butter and sauté onions.
- Add in sliced carrots and celery and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Debone chicken and add meat to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Cajun seasoning.
- Add in 2 boxes of chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Stir in rice, lower to a simmer, and allow soup to cook for another 30 minutes.