We’ve all heard it, we may have even said it.
“The parades may be canceled, but the celebration lives on” or “You can’t cancel King Cake!”
We know! We’re a state built on tradition and a love of food seasons! Gumbo Season, Snoball Season, Crawfish Season, and King Cake Season. I will not debate the best King Cake in town, although my friend Sarah, at Lafayette Mom wrote a pretty good breakdown of the cakes and categories.
No, I’m here to make a list of non-traditional ways to get that King Cake flavor without eating a cake per se. We’ve eaten our fair share of King Cakes already this season, but how fun to try and add some unique twists on that delicious King Cake flavor?! I’ve polled our team to find as many King Cake inspired dishes and treats that I could find, and now we’re on a mission! The Un-King Cake Tour!
Sweets & Treats
- Elsie’s Plate and Pie – King Cake Pie Nachos. Fluffy strips of pie crust, topped with butter pecan ice cream, cinnamon brown sugar sauce, and of course sprinkles! I have yet to try anything at Elsie’s that I don’t love, so I cannot wait to order these!
- Counterspacebr – King Cake pop tart. A tiny piece of heaven in our local bakery! These are a true indulgence; a mix of childhood goodness mixed with grown up flair ending in total deliciousness. Flaky and filled with that insanely delicious cinnamon King Cake mixture we all know and love! Finished with icing and traditional King Cake colored sugars. Be sure to call ahead and reserve yours! They are made daily, but sell out quickly.
- Brew Ha-Ha – King Cake balls
- Cheesecake Bistro – King cake cheesecake. This is truly one of my favorites. I may or may not call in just for a slice so I can swing in, kid free, and indulge myself in my two favorites: cheesecake & King Cake!
- Rouses – King Cake Doberge Cake. Again, two staples, merged together in wedded bliss. How can you say no??
- Smallcakes Baton Rouge – King Cake cupcakes.
- Maru Bread Co – A delicious cottage bakery that has pop ups most Saturdays offers the OG of King Cakes, a Gallette. And as one of our team members said, “Ok, y’all absolutely must try Maru Bread Co Galette des Rois!! It’s the best freaking thing I’ve ever tasted!”
- Smallcakes Baton Rouge – King Cake ice cream. This stuff is delicious! Stuffed with bits of cake and all the Mardi Gras goodness!
- Fat Cow – King Cake milkshake. Let’s face it, there isn’t much at Fat Cow that isn’t delicious, but this limited time season decadence is looked forward to every year! “It’s a favorite for my littles, especially because they get the ‘giant straws’ to slurp it down with!”
- Blue Bell – Mardi Gras King Cake Ice Cream. If you’ve spent any amount of time in Louisiana you KNOW! Buy the gallon the first time you see it in stores. A mix of King Cake bites, icing, sprinkles, and well Blue Bell awesome.
The best part of waking up… is King Cake in your cup!
- Rêve – Malty Gras Mambo, which is Rêve’s own NOLA cold brew infused with malted milk powder, caramel and chocolate blended with hot chocolate and topped with a torched marshmallow and a pinch of sea salt.
- Rêve – The King Cake Cappuccino – includes King Cake cookie butter, espresso and steamed milk served in a white chocolate and Mardi Gras sugar-rimmed royal chalice
- Brew Ha-Ha – King Cake Latte
- Community Coffee – Mardi Gras King Cake flavor. Once a year our store shelves are blessed with this blend & we can never get enough! Drink it as is, or jazz it up at home with your personal milk frother, either way, you won’t be sorry!
- Pj’s Coffee – King Cake coffee. I was told “Do yourself a favor, and order a King Cake cold brew mocha.”
- Mason’s Grill – Krewe de Brew. Nitro cold brew River Roads Coffee spiked with Cinnamon Rum and Vanilla, finished with whipped cream and Mardi Gras sprinkles.
- The Velvet Cactus – King Cake cocktail that screams Party Gras! King Cake Vodka, sweet amaretto, a little Half & Half, and dusted with Mardi Gras magic. Delicious!
- Hokus Pokus Liquor – Taaka King Cake vodka
- Bistro Byronz – King Cake Bread Pudding
- Reginelli’s – King Cake Bread Pudding
- Oak Point – King Cake bread pudding
- Roberto’s River Road Restaurant – King Cake bread puddings. One of our team swears, “Roberto’s is the best!!!”
Let us know if you join the #RSMunkingcaketour we’d love to see your adventures or know of any places we may need to add to our list!