Are you a huge fan of those cinnamon-flavored dough rounds covered in sweet green, gold, and purple sugar or icing? It is hard not to be a huge fan when you live in Louisiana. It is officially Carnival Season, and we are here for it all! If you are looking for one of Louisiana’s best desserts, we got you covered.
You can enjoy all the feels of Mardi Gras without having to travel to New Orleans. Maybe you are planning to throw a Mardi Gras party this year.
Looking for Mardi Gras Camps? Check out our Guide to Baton Rouge Mardi Gras Events and Camps. Don’t forget to check out all the things to do in Baton Rouge with kids!
With Mardi Gras on full roll, tasting ALL the King Cake alternatives has become a fun endeavor! Hope you enjoy these non-traditional king cakes in Baton Rouge as much as we do!
Un-King Cake Tour: A Guide to Non-Traditional King Cakes in Baton Rouge
We’ve all heard it, we may have even said it.
“The parades may be canceled, but the celebration lives on” or “You can’t cancel King Cake!”
We know! We’re a state built on tradition and a love of food seasons! Gumbo Season, Snoball Season, Crawfish Season, and King Cake Season. I will not debate the best King Cake in town, although my friend Sarah, at Lafayette Mom wrote a pretty good breakdown of the cakes and categories.
Now, I’m here to make a list of non-traditional ways to get that King Cake flavor without eating a cake per se. We’ve eaten our fair share of King Cakes already this season, but how fun to try and add some unique twists on that delicious King Cake flavor?! Non-traditional king cakes in Baton Rouge are such a fun way to enjoy king cake season! I’ve polled our team to find as many King Cake-inspired dishes and treats that I could find, and now we’re on a mission! The Un-King Cake Tour!
Sweets & Treats
- Elsie’s Plate and Pie – King Cake Pie Nachos. Fluffy strips of pie crust, topped with butter pecan ice cream, cinnamon brown sugar sauce, and of course sprinkles! I have yet to try anything at Elsie’s that I don’t love, so I cannot wait to order these!
- Counterspacebr – King Cake pop tart. A tiny piece of heaven in our local bakery! These are a true indulgence; a mix of childhood goodness mixed with grown-up flair ending in total deliciousness. Flaky and filled with that insanely delicious cinnamon King Cake mixture we all know and love! Finished with icing and traditional King Cake colored sugars. Be sure to call ahead and reserve yours! They are made daily, but sell out quickly.
- Brew Ha-Ha – King Cake balls. While you’re there, grab a coffee and peruse all the goodies in their pastry case!
- Rotolos – I cannot even believe I wasn’t aware of this until now! Run to your nearest Rotolos now for the King Cake Calzone! What? Yes, cream cheese, melted butter, cinnamon, and don’t forget the vanilla icing dip!
- Cheesecake Bistro – King cake cheesecake. This is truly one of my favorites. I may or may not call in just for a slice so I can swing in, kid-free, and indulge myself in my two favorites: cheesecake & King Cake!
- Rouses – King Cake Doberge Cake. Again, two staples, merged together in wedded bliss. How can you say no??
- Smallcakes Baton Rouge – King Cake cupcakes.
- Maru Bread Co – A delicious cottage bakery that has weekly pre-orders for Fridays offers the OG of King Cakes, a Gallette. And as one of our team members said, “Ok, y’all absolutely must try Maru Bread Co Galette des Rois!! It’s the best freaking thing I’ve ever tasted!”
- The Vintage BR – Stop in this cozy stop downtown to order the King Cake beignets! Order one, if you can, or an entire flight to enjoy!
- Smallcakes Baton Rouge – King Cake ice cream. This stuff is delicious! Stuffed with bits of cake and all the Mardi Gras goodness!
- Mr. Milkshake – Fat Tuesday Shake! If you haven’t stopped by this jewel located in Denham Springs, you’re truly missing out. Over-the-top milkshakes, piled high with sprinkles, whipped cream, and a slice of King Cake.
Coffee & Teas
The best part of waking up… is King Cake in your cup!
- Coffee Call – for a limited time offers the most delicious King Cake iced coffee! Pair it with their famous beignets OR kick it up a notch with another limited menu item, the King Cake beignet! Promise you won’t be disappointed!
- Red Stick Spice Co. – One of our team members let us know about this jewel! Here you can grab a tasty King Cake Tea; where cinnamon & vanilla come together in a delightful black tea that is sure to have you celebrating in the streets! Even better, their new tea bar is open. Inside their Jefferson location you can ask for a deliciously prepared King Cake Tea as you peruse their custom spice blends.
- City Roots – Let the good times roll! At this quaint and cozy stop, you can grab either their Carnival Latte or the Matcha Gras Latte! You can’t go wrong with either choice & both come with a dusting of Mardi Gras sugar! Want to take the delicious home to brew on your own time? They also have a limited-time King Blend Coffee, specially roasted for the season.
- Rêve – The King Cake Cappuccino – includes house-made King Cake cookie butter, chocolaty espresso, and steamed milk served in a Mardi Gras sugar-rimmed royal chalice.
- Brew Ha-Ha – King Cake Latte from one of our favorite coffee & pastry joints! So tasty, but don’t stop there! Be sure to check out everything in their pastry case!
- CC’s Coffeehouse – Welcome Carnival with the oh-so-famous King Cake Latte or Mochasippi.
- Community Coffee – Mardi Gras King Cake flavor. Once a year our store shelves are blessed with this blend & we can never get enough! Drink it as is, or jazz it up at home with your personal milk frother, either way, you won’t be sorry!
- PJ’s Coffee – King Cake coffee. I was told, “Do yourself a favor, and order a King Cake cold brew mocha.” You can also grab their King Cake whole bean coffee roast to take home! Don’t drink coffee? Try their ZULU blend tea!
- Mason’s Grill – Krewe de Brew. Nitro cold brew River Roads Coffee spiked with Cinnamon Rum and Vanilla, finished with whipped cream and Mardi Gras sprinkles. We’re still waiting to see if they’ll be bringing back the King Cake BURGER featuring King Cake buns from Les Amis Bake Shoppe
- Tin Roof Beer – Rolling out their newest limited release King Cake Cream Ale! Delicious flavors of biscuity malts, corn, rice, & King Cake from none other than Rosch Bakehaus! Silky vanilla beans, a hint of cinnamon & nutmeg, just a hint of that sugar and spice that we all love. While you’re there, check out their VooDoo & Parade Ground brews.
- Hokus Pokus Liquor – Gambinos King Cake Rum Cream
- Reginelli’s – This King Cake Cocktail will make you want to say “Laissez les bon temps rouler!” It contains Fireball Rumchata, vanilla soy milk & cinnamon topped with whipped cream & cinnamon crumbles.
- Mason’s Grill – The most drool-worthy burger in town is now nestled between a Mardi Gras roll, add bacon and cheese and you’re in a special kinda Mardi Gras mindmelt! These burgers will likely hit the menu around February 14th and roll through Mardi Gras; don’t miss it!
- Bistro Byronz – King Cake Bread Pudding
- Reginelli’s – King Cake Bread Pudding
- Oak Point – King Cake bread pudding
Did we miss any un-King Cakes? Tell us your favorite non-traditional king cakes, especially if we missed them!
Let us know if you join the #RSMunkingcaketour we’d love to see your adventures or know of any places we may need to add to our list!