Tik Tok Made Me Do It :: Designer Dupe Pumpkins
Maybe a bunch of you have seen these designer dupe pumpkins, or maybe not, but boy do I love how they turned out! I know Halloween has passed, but now is the time to stock up on clearance-priced plastic jack-o-lanterns or faux pumpkins and try this out for yourself. The pumpkins would be adorable to use in your Thanksgiving tablescape.
You’ll need the following:
- Plastic pumpkins of your choosing
- Paint. I chose Valspar SeasonFlex in the color COPPER HIDE
- Baking Soda
- Model Magic molding material
- Paint Brushes
- I really like how the designer pumpkins have these cute long stems and each one of them is a little different than the next. I picked up some air dry modeling clay and formed a different stem to the one that was on the pumpkin itself.
2. I would recommend painting your pumpkins first with just one quick coat of paint. You’ll then mix the paint with baking soda (This gives the paint the look of ceramic) until you get the consistency of brownie batter. Without needing to allow that first layer to dry, start painting your pumpkins with the new paint/soda mixture. I did about 3 coats on mine.
3. Allow your pumpkins to completely dry. You’ll then take a little bit of baking flour and rub it all over your pumpkin. I found it easiest to use my hand to just rub it all over. This gives them the white-wash finished look.
4. If you are placing these pumpkins outside, be sure to spray them with a matte finishing coat. This will ensure the flour look doesn’t vanish in the rain.
I really love how these turned out and can’t wait to use them for years to come. Now, what Tik Tok craft do I need to try next?? Let me know in the comments below.