This series is brought to you by Indie Plate, Fresh.Groceries.Delivered. Here at Red Stick Moms Blog, we know how important it is to get healthy and delicious meals to our families, but we also know how difficult and time-consuming it can be as well. We are so excited to bring you this sponsored series by Indie Plate, a company that truly “gets it” when it comes to getting healthy and delicious foods to your door with just the click of a button! We hope you enjoy this week’s recipe!
Homemade Dirty Rice
We’re featuring a dirty rice recipe this week that allows a busy mom to cook a gourmet meal in bulk, in one pot. The recipe is designed in a non-conventional way so that a mother can use a SINGLE pot to cook the whole meal without having to take ingredients in and out of a pot. The focus is on re-doing a family classic with fresh, healthy ingredients to replace the box dinner that is commonly used.
Brown rice, Grass fed ground beef, and fresh veggies come together in this easy one-pot family classic that’s simple, satisfying for the entire family, stores wonderfully in the fridge and can provide heat and serve meal options for a busy mother on days when cooking is just not an option.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Ingredients (You can buy all the ingredients here: http://bit.ly/DirtyRiceMix)
2 cups Brown Rice from Cajun Grain
1 LB Grass fed ground ground beef from Hollywood Livestock
1 Large onion, coarsely chopped
5 cloves garlic, coarsely minced
2 LOUISIANA red potatoes, coarsely cubed
2 Bell Peppers, coarsely chopped
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
1 oz Boucherie Spice from Red Stick Spice Co
4-6 tbl fresh butter (can be replaced by olive oil)
4 cups water or stock
1/3 LB HERITAGE Pork Sausage, cubed (optional)
1 cup shredded Farmhouse Cheddar Cheese (optional)
1 root green onions for garnish (optional)
1 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for color)
1. Melt 2 tbl butter (or heat olive oil) in a deep dutch oven/ pot, on medium heat.
2. When hot, add the chopped onions and cook 3-4 minutes until translucent.
3. Add bell peppers and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Add potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes.
5. Add ground beef and boucherie seasoning, break up using a spatula and mix in with the rest of the veggies.
6. As the beef begins to break up and brown, add the garlic cloves whole, cover the pot and let cook for 3-4 minutes until liquid begins to collect in the pot.
7. Uncover, give it a quick mix, and add the rice, water and turmeric along with 2 tbl of butter.
8. Add the cherry tomatoes whole and cover and let come to a boil.
9. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let cook, covered, for 50 minutes.
10. After 50 minutes, turn off heat and let sit for 5-7 minutes.
11. Serve topped with chopped green onions for garnish.
You can buy all the ingredients here: http://bit.ly/DirtyRiceMix
Total Servings: 10
Meal cost: $3/serving
- Add chopped sausage (along with the garlic) to the ground beef to add an extra layer of flavor to the dirty rice
- Add shredded cheese to the cooked rice before garnishing with onions to make a creamier rice mix.
- The stewed tomatoes add a really delicious sweetness to the dirty rice, but if you’re not a tomato person, you can always leave them out.
You could WIN the ingredients to this recipe, delivered straight to your door!! Just complete the Rafflecopter below to be entered to WIN: