Go Ahead, Make That Appointment
Mom confession, I’ve been neglecting myself.
As a working mom and wife, it’s so easy to take care of everyone else and forget to take care of yourself. I make sure that my children make their annual doctor’s appointments, but I somehow struggle to make time for my own, only to regret putting them off down the line. I make sure to pack my family a balanced lunch for work and school, but I will often go all day without eating because I didn’t make time to pack my own healthy lunch. But as the saying goes, you can’t pour from an empty cup.
So recently I finally decided to show myself some love beyond the typical one-off “self-care” mani/pedis and bubble baths. Not only am I drinking more water and moving more, but I’m taking steps to improve my overall mental and physical health by rounding up my own team of health professionals.
In addition to scheduling your annual physical exam, creating a wellness “game plan” will help you reach your wellness goals. Here are ten healthy habits – from head to toe – for a healthier life:
- Look after your mental health
- Don’t forget your annual optometry appointment.
- Visit the dentist every six months.
- Schedule a dermatology consultation
- Schedule your annual mammogram starting at age 40 or before in if you have certain risk factors
- Eat a well-balanced diet choosing a variety of foods from the 5 main food groups.
- Stay hydrated – Women should drink about 11.5 cups of water per day.
- Schedule your annual gynecological exam.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
- Get at least 7 to 8 hours a sleep.