Picture this: you’ve finally braved leaving the house by yourself with the new baby. You’ve been gone most of the day, and it’s gone really well! As you are getting ready to head home, the baby has a a massive poo-splosion that leaves him a mess and also you too. You check your diaper bag, but you used the last diaper 20 minutes ago, and your sleep-deprived brain somehow forgot an extra onesie! What’s a mom to do?!
Obviously, no one wants to be in that scenario, which is why I highly recommend putting an “emergency kit” in the car with essentials for just in case. We are expecting a new baby any day now, and I also have two other children. I just put together a new emergency bag to handle essentials for all of us. (FYI: These make an EXCELLENT baby shower gift!)
After you have your diaper caddy, you will need to gather up your supplies and organize them in the caddy. If it’s for yourself – put it in the car and you’re done! If it’s a gift, put a bow on it and a nice card and you’re done!
Here are the supplies that I put in my “emergency bag.”
- Size newborn diapers (I also included a few diapers my son’s size — hopefully we won’t be too long with two in diapers!)
- A pack of baby wipes
- A changing pad
- Kleen Handz wipes
- Hand sanitizer spray
- A roll of paper towels
- Clorox or Lysol wipes
- Grocery bags to contain the mess
- Extra outfit for baby (be sure to update as baby grows and the seasons change!)
- Extra shirt for mom (TRUST ME – you’ll be glad this is there)
In my case, I also included an extra outfit for each of my other two littles, because even spilling their food all over them might result in needing an outfit change. Better to be prepared!
- A burp cloth
- An extra pacifier
- A pack of gum (apparently, chewing minty gum when you’re overwhelmed with a bunch of other smells can help!)
- Nursing pads if mom is breastfeeding
So there you have it! This is a pretty quick project to put together, and you’ll be glad you did when you inevitably need it. And if you choose to give one as a baby shower gift, you can be sure that momma will be thanking heaven for you the first time she needs it.